Today, thanks to advances in technology, people have a wider and more promising field to make money than before. This is because with the advent of the Internet, there are more opportunities and chances to earn extra income. In fact, this kind of online earning can be very lucrative if one engages in it seriously and consistently.
One of the most common and simple ways to earn income online is to use a service known as Google AdSense. This advertising service, created by Google, is widely used by website creators and owners to generate advertising columns and consistent income.
In fact, the principle of how Google AdSense works is not complicated. However, for a layman, using this service will seem confusing at first. For that, check out our complete beginner’s guide to using Google AdSense services to generate income online.
What is Google AdSense?
As explained earlier, Google AdSense is an advertising program created by Google. This advertising service works on the principle of CPC or Cost Per Click and allows website or web page owners to earn revenue through ads placed on their website.
Since its introduction, many website owners immediately registered their sites and became publishers of this Google AdSense service. This is evident, there are now over 2 million Google AdSense publishers scattered all over the world and continue to grow each year.
The Google AdSense service displays ads on a website in the form of text, images and videos that will be shown to website visitors. The ads shown to site visitors are customized according to their interests.
You may be wondering, how do you know what interests a website visitor has? It’s simple: Google AdSense looks through the browser’s app cache to find out the website visitor’s online activity history. The ads shown to these visitors will then be tailored to the visitor’s interests so that advertisers can more accurately identify their advertising audience.
For example, you just searched for men’s and women’s fashion products. Well, if you open the site, Google AdSense will show ads from the fashion stores you opened earlier, or something like that. The ads you receive will also change over time depending on your browser app cache, search history, and internet activity.
The history of Google AdSense
The emergence of Google AdSense began when Google acquired Pyra Labs, the predecessor company to Blogger, in February 2003. A month later, through the CEO and chairman of Google at the time, it was announced the advertising services produced by the company and called Google AdSense.
To improve its advertising services, Google acquired Applied Semantics technology. Since the acquisition process, Google has been able to optimize its AdSense service much better.
Since its launch, Google AdSense was only available for English-language content or sites and a number of other languages in Europe, East Asia and Thailand and in the Middle East. Over time, and more specifically in early February 2012, Google AdSense continued to add supported languages to the ad service, including Indonesian.
So far, Google AdSense has two types of accounts that publishers can use.
- Hosted AdSense, which can be used for platforms such as Youtube.
- Non-Hosted AdSense, which can be used by website or web page owners.
How Google AdSense works
The principle of how Google AdSense works is basically uncomplicated and easy to understand even for a non-specialist. As the name implies, this advertising service pays the site owner or content creator on Youtube every time a visitor or viewer opens or clicks on an ad.
In other words, the more visitors open or click on ads on your site, the higher the revenue from Google AdSense. However, to be able to do this, you must first master how to create content on your site according to SEO or Search Engine Optimization.
To make it clearer, see how Google AdSense works below.
- In order for your site to receive ads from Google AdSense, you must first provide space to place ads. Ads are usually placed in the header, middle of the article, sidebar and footer. To set it up, you just need to insert the ad code in the form of a script in the specified section. The ads will then automatically appear in this section, adjusting to the interests and browsing history of site visitors.
- Ads with the most expensive costs in priority It should be understood that there are a lot of advertisers on this service Google AdSense. In addition, the number of visitors from the site also varies depending on the type of content. To get around this, Google AdSense will usually display ads with the highest price. The ads with the lower price will then alternately appear in the ad space of the site. Simply put, the ads with the most expensive costs will be prioritized to be shown to site visitors first, so they are more likely to be seen by the audience.
- Revenue depends on the number of ads opened and the competition It’s worth remembering that revenue from Google AdSense will only be received if a visitor clicks on or opens an ad. This means that if the ad is only viewed, the site owner will not receive revenue from the advertising service. The revenue received from ads clicked on by visitors also varies depending on the type of product and the competition of advertisers’ rates or offers. Nevertheless, there are some services that are willing to pay if only visitors see the ads. However, revenues from this type of advertising are, of course, relatively lower.
A beginner’s guide to using the Google AdSense service
Before you decide to sign up for Google AdSense advertising services, you must first understand that not all sites or web pages can take advantage of this service. There are several requirements that must first be met by the site owner, one example being the number of visitors per day.
Usually when an application for Google AdSense advertising services is rejected, you can find out the
Reason and try to fix it before trying to reapply. Here is a guide to using Google AdSense services specifically for beginners.
- Know the difference between impressions and clicks The way Google AdSense works is by showing ads on a site and getting revenue based on the number of clicks on the ads. Thus, if ads from this service are only seen by visitors and there is no further action, such as clicking or opening the ad, then the site owner cannot get paid. This also led to the introduction of a rule that site owners must not click on their own ads, including telling others to do so. It’s also forbidden to place ads that make visitors a trap for clicking on ads. If you violate it, of course, there will be consequences, which the site owner must be prepared to bear.
- All Google AdSense partners must be responsible for all content placed on their sites. For example, the site should not create content with elements of pornography, violence and racism, as well as containing copyrights. Above all, make sure the content is relevant, unique and widely sought after to increase the number of visitors and the likelihood of opening ads.
- Introducing Ads When you become a publisher, make sure you can serve ads on the site. This is easy to do, just install the Google AdSense ad code in the prepared space on the site. However, when you implement it, the ads should not be pop-up or appear suddenly, or other formats that can be harmful to advertisers or visitors.
- Reasons why a Google AdSense account can be deactivated If a site owner is found in violation of Google AdSense rules, prepare for the consequences. Usually, if it is already at a harmful level or something like that, the right to use Google AdSense and earn revenue from the service can be revoked or deactivated.
Don’t waste Google AdSense services for extra income
Here’s the definition of Google AdSense, how it works, and a beginner’s guide to using it. For website owners, especially those with high traffic, using this Google AdSense service is a must for generating revenue. So don’t pass up this opportunity and apply for this advertising service immediately to the site you manage!